Thursday, October 15, 2009

Sporadic Thoughts of a Desultory Mind

First and foremost, I'm a collector of toy soldiers. Like you, I get excited every time I hear about new releases. Civil War history and lore is my main passion, which works really well in this business, because it's probably ranked #1 or #2 in popularity with other collectors. But I'm also rather lacking in the attention span department, and always looking for a new subject to spark my interest... and chances are, whatever that new interest is when I begin sculpting set #3, will also be the subject of set #3. Here's a rundown of what we're thinking of doing, and WHY we are thinking of doing it or NOT doing it. Like I've said before, I can't keep secrets, so why even try.

1. Civil War - I'm not going to lie, it's a possibility. It's a big seller, and we're still a new company that is a ways away from breaking even on our investment. It wouldn't hurt to stay with something solid.... BUT, most guys who collect Civil War already have a huge army built up, and may not feel the need to buy multiple bags, the one thing that keeps us plastic manufacturers in business. So, it ends up a real catch-22.

2. WWII - Very popular with collectors, but again, suffers from the same problem as the Civil War does. Most guys who would buy them already have an awesome collection of 1/32 WWII troops done with amazing quality by other companies, thus, not a whole lot of reason to buy several bags. I know there are some subjects that haven't been done, or done enough (British Infantry, Garman Paras, Afrika Korps, etc.), but would they be popular enough to sell in the quantity that we would need them to?

3. American Revolution - A lot of people have been asking for this one, which surprises me to no end. Lots of fertile ground for this topic, and really hasn't been explored much by modern makers. A nice side effect of that is that guys might need to buy multiple bags to make a full army.... but another thought is that other companies haven't done it because IT WON'T SELL.

4. WWI - Machine guns, frontal assaults over open ground, bi-planes and tri-planes, and tanks. You'd think it would be a top seller... but for some reason, it's mostly given a big "Meh" by collectors.

5. Vietnam - An explanation probably isn't needed here. Several collectors have first hand experience with this era, and it's not something that I would feel comfortable trying to recreate in plastic. Maybe someday, but not today.

Sooo.... we've got some ideas, one probably edging the others out a bit, but we're still open to your thoughts.... and bribes. :)

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about Korean War. No one has touched this and I have talked to a lot of guys who want it, and can't believe no one hasn't done it. Lots of good action packed figures can be done for it.
As far as WW2. Yes, we have a lot of figures, but, even for U.S., German, and Japanese Forces, there are so many poses yet to be done. Weapons teams, Combat assault teams with flamethrowers and satchelcharges, men with riflegrenades, hand to hand combat figures, US Marines, the list goes on. {Some more British Paras with PIAT's and Vickers Mgs couldn't hurt either.} The reason I and others do WW2 conversion figures is because no one is doing the poses we still need.
In the end, you need to do what is best for you and your new figure company. But, I thank you for being willing to listen to my 2 cents. Its nice to know that.
Bobby G. Moore

Anonymous said...

What about some French Foreign Legion and Arabs?

Jim Wassam

Anonymous said...

Sow did you eliminate those 5 from your 3rd release thinking? Lot's of medieval and potentially Fantasy in 1/32 collectors out there...King Arthur meets LOTR sort of thing?

Anonymous said...

Beau.Before you pick your next set watch"Pork Chop Hill",The Steel Helmet" and "Fixed Bayonets".BRIAN.

J. M. Steplyk said...

Don't discount that Cunnyngham figures are falling in alongside Conte and TSSD not just in terms of scale but accuracy and dynamic sculpting as well. I think really raising the bar means you'll create demand even in periods like ACW and WWII that have gotten lots of attention.


ACW only recently experienced a renaissance in the last decade or so as manufacturers started to fill long neglected gaps: zouaves, USCT, sharpshooters, and (my hobby horses) slouch hats and Iron Brigade. There's still room for improvement in artillery (most crews are understrength) and cavalry (TSSD has done wonders, but another large pose dismounted set weould be very welcome.

As for RevWar, I think it's surprising we've made do for a long time with relatively few makers: Accurate has long been the workhorse (and Marx before them) with help from BMC and CTA, then AIP stormed on the scene w/ all three branches. The only sources for plain clothes militia are still Accurate and Barzo.

Above all, I think with realism in sculpting and pose creativity, you can't go wrong (plus it'll prove my theory that reenactors are especially gifted in the toy soldier field).
-Jonathan

Anonymous said...

Would like to see medieval but in support of Korean War - all the collectors of WW2 probably have US vehicles Artillery and scenics that could be used in Korean War

Anonymous said...

Beau,
One other thing that I want to say is that no matter what figures you decide to do, I and I'm sure all the other figure collectors want to see you do well. The better you do, the better for the hobby. Also, it will encourage others to try to do the same thing.
Take care
Bobby G. Moore

Anonymous said...

Beau, as I've said on other forums, just received my first (and not last) bag of your Rebs, they are even better in the final product than the protos (at least that's my impression); with this quality,whatever you choose to do will sell Trying to put this in a ranking order:

ACW - for me (and I'm sure others - can't ever get enough).

ARW is awfully under-represented.

KoreaL Great - but with so little out there would require an extensive line to properly do it. (though World War II figures would work well for the US side; need Chinese and NKA).

World War II - always a great seller
Also love Medieval.

War of 1812? Only Barzso has done it - most of the figures could be used as Nappies.

Hey, it's ALL good. Hope this helps, Wayne, the Old All American

Anonymous said...

I think American Revolution needs to be done some more. As of right now, there are no casualty poses. If you include one, I'll buy at least 8 bags. You also have an advantage, in that the same figures can be used as both British and Continentals

Anonymous said...

I can't remember if I mentioned this before but revolutionary war figures could be used for other underdone wars - the 1745-6 Jacobite uprising in particular. I just think a good set of Highlanders would sell by the truck loads. Most Rev War poses would also work for Pirates too. I'm not sure how these sold for Barzo but his earlier figures are just too thin. Again on the Rev War front - there's no cavalry that I can think of, so scope there too. I love thinking about this sort of stuff!

John
Australia

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see new ACW poses for my firing line. I don't like to paint more than one figure with the same pose for my planned diorama so the more poses the better. I would like to buy medieval stuff also. Something early medieval that could bee used with the Conte Normans, and Saxons and Vikings. But, whatever you make I wish you great success with your business, and I'll buy at least one bag of whatever you make.

Anonymous said...

ACW suggestions are naval/marines landing party, native american troops (Pea Ridge) and Home Guard militia. These have either never been done in plastic or have been done just once.

Mexican War? Another rarely done era.

Anonymous said...

As for Medieval - a good set of basic men-at-arms would be good. The Revell set is too small and the Airfix set, though better, is also on the small side(They seem to work ok with Timpo knights). I keep coming back to Dwarves. The Hobbit will be out in a year or two and there is a dwarven army in that. I believe The Pacific is due out in March 2010 and I think it will be huge, so I think something themed for that is the most viable financial bet at this point. Perhaps Army troops to compliment TSSDs Marines.
John
Australia

Anonymous said...

Good post from John of Australia. Let Hollywood help market your figures. In other words if you time your release with upcoming movies alot of interest in generated in that era. I think Conte benefitted from this with the Spartans as 300 was at the theaters at the time of the release of the figures. Robin Hood with Russell Crowe is due May of 2010 so a set of Men-at-Arms would sell well. The Dwarven army is a great idea and one I would do. Just change the helmets and boots ect to avoid looking too much like the movie and copyright problems. The WW2 Pacific with U.S. army, Rangers, Marines, Australians, Phillipino guerillas. Also a shout out for Civil War Union Naval figures there is a remake of 20,000 leagues under the Sea due in a year or two and they can be used for that also.

Anonymous said...

So many good ideas!!
I think the idea of a "Home Guard" Acw unit could be especially interesting.
A mix of civilian and military clothing and a wide variety of weapons that could be either army and made in gray and blue.

Anonymous said...

Plastic Civil War figures have saturated the market. How about some mounted Norman knights to complement the Conte Normans, Saxons, and Vikings? They would fit in with Hastings 1066, El Cid, and the early Crusades. As for opponents, there are plenty already out there (i.e., Saracens, Moors, Saxons, Frisians, etc.). Also, there is no need to do horses as there are plenty available to choose from already!

Another era would be Imperial Roman infantry, not Republican Romans as there are plenty out there already! Again plenty of opponents are available!

As to how many bags customers would purchase? Well, who wants only a dozen mounted Normans, or Imperial Romans? My guess is that customers would buy not one, but several bags.